cover page

cover page

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

On getting Festive


Here's what's festive at our place...

So I thought I would show you some of my 'getting festive' activities around here.

First up I am painting this little wooden trike for Little O's Christmas present. We are keeping things simple this year, as I have said before and you can't really get more simple than this little trike that we picked up on the side of the road...on yet another one of my hard-rubbish-collection binges ! 


So, I decided to paint the little seat red, how festive of me eh?! All it needs is a little cleaning and a rub back and then slop some red paint on and voila! A Christmas present ready to go!

Here's how I did it.
Firstly I gave it all a sand and clean....in my very festive and somewhat grotty red trackies!


Next I primed the seat and the wheels and handles with Zinsser primer. The primer was pretty pricey but is supposed to be a pretty good primer so I decided to shell out the $39. I figured that as I am planning to get my white-painting mojo into gear, and get painting,  I am gunna need a bit of it anyway.


I actually contemplated not painting it red on seeing it with the white primer...it looked quite cute just white.


Anyway...moving on. Next I gave it a couple of coats of fire engine red which cost about $9.


I decided to leave the wheel rims white, so I just have to give it a top coat of a white gloss paint.

I gave the rest of the body a bit of a sand and rub down. When I get around to it I will give it a coat of clear varnish.

And that is it.


Pretty easy.


I can just see Little O scooting around on this...can't wait!



Next, I am doing some Christmas baking. I shall put on a Christmas movie....mmm maybe: The Family Stone, or The Holiday, or maybe Its a Wonderful Life, and then I shall get baking!!

I thought I would share my mum's Easy Peesy Coconut Macaroons with you today. It is sooo easy and quick. Only two ingredients and they look so sweet done up in a little clear cellophane or in a cute recycled jam jar.

So here it is...
Mum's Coconut Macaroons


Ingredients:
2 Cups coconut
1/2 a 400g can of condensed milk


Now to be honest, I don't actually measure the ingredients!! Gasp! I literally just add a bit of each and until it is the right consistency. 


Method:
Dump ingredients in a bowl and mix together with spoon
It should be able to come together in a ball...if too wet add some coconut. If too dry, add more condensed milk....it is seriously that easy.


Roll or form into fairly small balls and place on a greased tray.




Bake in a moderate oven 180 degrees Celsius. For about 10 mins (possibly less) until just golden.



Cool, then eat...I mean...wrap up in some celophane, or place in a jar and you're done!


How easy is that??!! I just lurrrrve this recipe. It is so quick and you can whip it up if you have unexpected guests.

So there you go! Have a go and let me know how it turns out!

I am loving the idea that Christmas can be done by hand-making gifts, not rushing out spending a fortune on stuff.

I am thinking I will try and post some of my ideas for handmade, easy peesy Christmas gifts!!

Lastly....to get me feeling festive....I thought I would do this....


What do you think? A bit of a Christmas pop of colour on my hands!!

See you soon
xo Rachel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...